After the bowie I am working on a smaller piece, but of a similar design, and the same high standard. I am planning on forging it from 1075 steel and giving it a wispy hamon. After designing the knife, I forged a practice piece. As forged:
FIRST billet of damascus!! (Click to enlarge images)
1. I am embarking into the world of damascus steel. Check back soon to see progress. Will it be successful or no??
3. Quick etch in ferric chloride.
5. Continuing to draw out. Then cut and clean up ready to restack.
2. Initial weld is a success! Ready to draw out and restack.
4. Drawing the billet out. (My small welder is having a hard time getting a strong weld on the rebar handle.)
6. Restacked and rewelded.
Full tang hamon bowie
This knife is finished and in the 'Blades' page.
This knife has been completed! Go to 'Blades' page to see the finished knife.